Online ZIML Monthly Contests
Here are the contests from previous months. Please use this link to access the current or upcoming Monthly Contests.
Contest Format and Registration
- The ZIML competition has 5 main divisions for students in elementary, middle, and high school. College students are not eligible to compete in any of the divisions.
- The contest takes place the first weekend of each month of the school year (October through June). The contest opens Friday at 12:01 AM Pacific Time and closes Sunday 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
- The exam is 1 hour long (with 20 questions) that can be taken anytime while the contest is open.
- No calculators are allowed and each question has a number (integer or decimal) answer.
- Registration is done using the links above. Registration for the next monthly competition opens on the 20th of the preceding month.
- A practice exam is available on the Practice Page so students can get comfortable with the exam format.
- Varsity: The top division. Covers material on the level of the last 10 questions on the AMC 12 and AIME level. This division is open to all age levels.
- Junior Varsity: The second highest competition division. Covers material at the AMC 10/12 level and State/National MathCounts level. Note that material such as complex numbers, advanced trigonometry, and logarithms are not required at this level. This division is open to all age levels.
- High School (Division H): This division focuses on material from a standard high school curriculum. It covers topics up to and including pre-calculus. This division will serve as excellent practice for students preparing for the math portions of the SAT or ACT. This division is open to all age levels.
- Middle School (Division M): This division focuses on problem solving using math concepts from a standard middle school math curriculum. Covers material on the level of AMC 8 and School/Chapter MathCounts. This division is open to all students who have not started grade 9.
- Upper Elementary (Division E): This division focuses on advanced problem solving with mathematical concepts from upper elementary school. Covers material at a level comparable to MOEMS Division E. This division is open to all students who have not started grade 6.
2019-2020 Monthly Contest Dates
- September 6-15 (warmup contest)
- October 4-6
- November 1-3
- December 6-8
- January 3-5
- February 7-9
- March 6-8
- April 3-5
- May 1-3
- June 5-7
- If a student receives 3 perfect scores on exams from one of the non-varsity divisions (UE, MS, HS, JV) they are have mastered the material and "advance" to a higher division.
- These advancements work as follows:
- 3 perfect scores in Division E advances to the Division M.
- 3 perfect scores in Division M advances to Junior Varsity.
- 3 perfect scores in Division H advances to Junior Varsity.
- 3 perfect scores in Junior Varsity advances to Varsity.
- When a student advances they are still allowed to take the exams from a lower division. HOWEVER, they are ineligible for awards and receive no points for exams in lower divisions. Note: the 3 perfect scores do not need to be consecutive.