Online ZIML Monthly Contests
Please use this link to access the previous Online ZIML Monthly Contests from earlier months to review your results.
The December Online ZIML Competitions are available below.
Save time and money by registering for the entire year of monthly contests using the bundles below.
- Division E 2019-20 Monthly Contest Bundle
- Division M 2019-20 Monthly Contest Bundle
- Division H 2019-20 Monthly Contest Bundle
- Junior Varsity 2019-20 Monthly Contest Bundle
- Varsity 2019-20 Monthly Contest Bundle
Contest Format and Registration
- The ZIML competition has 5 main divisions for students in elementary, middle, and high school. College students are not eligible to compete in any of the divisions.
- The contest takes place the first weekend of each month of the school year (October through June). The contest opens Friday at 12:01 AM Pacific Time and closes Sunday 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
- The exam is 1 hour long (with 20 questions) that can be taken anytime while the contest is open.
- No calculators are allowed and each question has a number (integer or decimal) answer.
- Registration is done using the links above. Registration for the next monthly competition opens on the 20th of the preceding month.
- A practice exam is available on the Practice Page so students can get comfortable with the exam format.
- Varsity: The top division. Covers material on the level of the last 10 questions on the AMC 12 and AIME level. This division is open to all age levels.
- Junior Varsity: The second highest competition division. Covers material at the AMC 10/12 level and State/National MathCounts level. Note that material such as complex numbers, advanced trigonometry, and logarithms are not required at this level. This division is open to all age levels.
- High School (Division H): This division focuses on material from a standard high school curriculum. It covers topics up to and including pre-calculus. This division will serve as excellent practice for students preparing for the math portions of the SAT or ACT. This division is open to all age levels.
- Middle School (Division M): This division focuses on problem solving using math concepts from a standard middle school math curriculum. Covers material on the level of AMC 8 and School/Chapter MathCounts. This division is open to all students who have not started grade 9.
- Upper Elementary (Division E): This division focuses on advanced problem solving with mathematical concepts from upper elementary school. Covers material at a level comparable to MOEMS Division E. This division is open to all students who have not started grade 6.
2019-2020 Monthly Contest Dates
- September 6-15 (warmup contest)
- October 4-6
- November 1-3
- December 6-8
- January 3-5
- February 7-9
- March 6-8
- April 3-5
- May 1-3
- June 5-7
- If a student receives 3 perfect scores on exams from one of the non-varsity divisions (UE, MS, HS, JV) they are have mastered the material and "advance" to a higher division.
- These advancements work as follows:
- 3 perfect scores in Division E advances to the Division M.
- 3 perfect scores in Division M advances to Junior Varsity.
- 3 perfect scores in Division H advances to Junior Varsity.
- 3 perfect scores in Junior Varsity advances to Varsity.
- When a student advances they are still allowed to take the exams from a lower division. HOWEVER, they are ineligible for awards and receive no points for exams in lower divisions. Note: the 3 perfect scores do not need to be consecutive.